Recipe adopted from The Sunday Times
serve : 6 pax
1 jar olive vegetables (180g to 225g)
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
50g coriander leaves
1kg cold cooked rice, from 450g uncooked rice
500g minced meat (I replaced with Char Siew/roasted chicken leg)
fish sauce or soy sauce to taste (I omitted as olive vegetables is quite salty)
roasted cashew nuts (I replaced with roasted almond slices as no cashew nuts available at home)
- Set a metal mesh strainer over a bowl. Scoop the olive vegetables into the strainer, press down with a fork so that as much oil as possible drips into the bowl. Pick out olives, seed them, chop finely and set aside.
- Peel the onion and garlic cloves, chop both finely and set aside. Slice the roots off the coriander, discard. Chop the stems and leaves finely and set aside.
- Run clean fingers through the cold rice to separate the grains.
- Scoop 2tbsp of the oil drained from the olive vegetables. Add it to a large wok or frying pan set over high heat. When the surface of the oil shimmers, add the onion and sauté until the pieces turn translucent, which takes about 1 min. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Add the minced pork and, using a spatula, break the meat up into small bits. Turn the meat and continue to break the bigger lumps up.
- When the pork is cooked, add the drained olive vegetables and stir fry until everything in the pan is well combined.
- Add the rice and stir fry thoroughly, making sure that the vegetables and pork are well mixed with the rice.
- Add the fish sauce or soy sauce to taste. Turn off the heat, add the chopped coriander and stir it through the rice.
- Scoop the rice onto a large serving platter, then top with cashews, and garnishes if using. Serve immediately.
Happy Cooking !!!