for the pastry
( from GOODFOOD magazine (Asian Edition) - June 2012)
125g Salted Butter, chilled and diced125g Shortening
500g Plain Flour
6tbsp Cold water
1 egg, beaten, to seal and glaze
for the filling
2pcs Potatoes, peeled and diced, parboiled
½pce Carrot, diced and parboiled
½pce Large Onion, finely diced
100g Minced Chicken Meat
4tbsp Curry Powder
1. Rub the butter and shortening into the flour with your fingertips. Add 6tbsp cold water to make a firm dough. Cut into 4, then chill for 20mins.
2. Heat 1tbsp of oil, add into large onion, stir-fry till fragant. Follow by the minced chicken meat, potatoes and carrot, mix it well. Add in the curry powder, salt, sugar & water. Cook for about 5-10min. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven at 220C. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface until large enough to make a round about 23cm across - use a plate to trim it to shape.
4. Firmly pack a quarter of the filling along the centre of each round, leaving a margin at each end. Brush pastry all the way round the edge with beaten eggs,carefully draw up both sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal.
5. Lift onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with the remaining egg to glaze. Bake for 10mins, the lower oven to 180C and cooke for 45mins more until golden.